Autumn Celebration Cake
- 1 20cm cake tin
- electric mixer (or mixing bowl)
- 250 g grated pumpkin We’ve used the Red Kuri variety for this recipe
- 200 g self-raising flour
- 200 g unsalted butter plus extra for greasing
- 220 g light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- Zest of 1 orange
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 150 g unsalted butter
- 300 g icing sugar
- 1 tbsp cream cheese
- A mixture of brambles, figs, calendula & nasturtium flowers to decorate (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 170c and grease and line your cake tin.
- Put the butter, sugar and eggs into an electric mixer and beat until light and fluffy.200 g unsalted butter, 220 g light brown sugar, 2 eggs
- Fold in the grated pumpkin, orange zest and ground ginger.250 g grated pumpkin, Zest of 1 orange, 2 tsp ground ginger
- Next, gently fold in the self-raising flour until combined and then transfer the batter into the cake tin.200 g self-raising flour
- Cover the cake loosely with foil and bake for 60 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for a further 20 minutes. Test the mixture is cooked by inserting a skewer into the cake and if ready it will come out clean. If any wet batter sticks to the skewer bake for a further 10 minutes and test again.
- Leave to cool completely before icing. Resist the temptation!
- To make the icing beat the butter in a kitchen mixer or use an electric hand whisk until lovely and light. Add in the icing sugar and whisk both ingredients together. Add a tablespoon of full fat cream cheese to the icing to take the edge off the sweetness.150 g unsalted butter, 300 g icing sugar, 1 tbsp cream cheese
- Enjoy with a cup of tea in peace!