Pumpkin Masala Curry
- 1 Baking tray
- 1 Large pot
- 1 kg pumpkin (Tractor, Harlequin or Red Kuri varieties work well)
- 250 g onions, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 thumb size piece ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp nigella seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cardamon pods
- a pinch of cracked black pepper
- 400 ml vegetable stock or water
- 400 g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tin chickpeas
- 200 g fresh tomatoes, roughly chopped
- Juice of half an orange
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan.
- Cut the pumpkin into approximately 2cm size pieces and place on a baking tray lined with baking parchment. Roast the diced pumpkin for 15 minutes.
- In a large pot, cook the onions, garlic and grated ginger in the oil until soft.
- Add all the dry spices to the onion mix and cook for a couple of minutes to release the flavour.
- Add the orange juice, chopped fresh tomatoes and drained chickpeas and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock or water and tinned tomatoes, then bring to the boil. Allow to boil and reduce for 15 minutes. Season to taste.
- Add the roasted pumpkin to the masala sauce and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve with rice or naan and a spoonful of our pumpkin piccalilli on the side!
This recipe has been lovingly created for Kilduff Farm by Tony and Cat of The Foraging Goat.
Tony and Cat Tavener are the husband-and-wife team behind The Foraging Goat, a new artisan greengrocer and larder in Haddington, East Lothian. Their aim is to forage the local area for the best produce on offer and create their own collection of ketchups, preserves, pies, take-home meals and much more. Bursting with creativity and a real zeal for flavour, Tony and Cat are truly imaginative when it comes to cooking. We have been fortunate to work closely with them, creating a very special collaboration and producing a delicious range of products made from produce grown on the farm.